Sunday, July 6, 2014

Skills USA Part Two: The Competition

Tuesday, we had breakfast at 8 a.m., where we were given a written test about basic job skills and Skills USA as an organization.  Then I had quite a bit of a break before the meeting for my competition at noon.  They gave us information about what to expect and let us ask questions.  Then we took a written test about computer programming.  

After my meeting, I wandered around the "Techspo", eventually meeting up with the other student from SUU.  We wandered a bit more, waiting for our ride, and we got to see a National Guard Bike Trick show.  I'll upload a video or two at some point.  For some reason I can't get them to upload directly.

When our advisor arrived, we went to dinner.  The Utah Skills USA director recommended Jack Stack.  We found it to taste good, but to be somewhat overpriced for what it was.

Carrot Cake--it was very yummy

At orientation, they gave us 5 Utah pins to use for trading.  I collect pins, but I didn't really care about trying to get them from every state.  My main goal was the SC state pin, but I also got Texas, with which I was rather pleased for reasons some of you might know.  *wink*
  


Wednesday was my actual competition.  I was a little disappointed with my performance, but it was my first national competition.  I tried not to over-think it, but I ended up getting too worked up, anyway.  I tried to do a GUI (graphical user interface) and when I couldn't I just turned it in because I was like shaking.  Additionally, our judges never showed up, so we had make-shift judges.  The proctor mentioned something about them maybe not being able to stay the full time.  Then the judges started coming around to each person, so I felt rushed.  Anyway, I know I could have done much better, but hey, if I ever did another competition like this, I know I would do better, so I must have learned something, right?

Just a cool building downtown Kansas City
That night was the opening ceremony.  It was much crazier than I expected.  They had loud music, crazy lights, and all the states provided glow sticks and such for the participants.  I was expecting something more ceremonious, I guess.  The keynote speaker was the guy who started Ocearch.  They catch and tag great white sharks for tracking and scientific research.  Kinda crazy.


No comments:

Post a Comment