Sunday, April 27, 2014

Institute Graduation

Today, I  received my institute diploma!  For those of you who don't know what institute is, it an organization through the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that offers scripture and doctrine classes aimed at college students.  I was asked to speak at graduation, and I decided I want to share my talk here on my blog because it contains my testimony of the power of institute.  I didn't read all of this word for word, but this is basically what I talked about.  Enjoy!


The question I've been asked to ponder for this talk is this: "How has institute impacted my life?"  First, I would like to mention some of the promises our leaders have given us about institute.

President Thomas S. Monson


“If you are a single college student, I ask you to make participation in institute a priority. Married students and other young adults are also welcome and encouraged to attend. Think of it. Friends will be made, the Spirit will be felt, and faith will be strengthened. I promise you that as you participate in institute and study the scriptures diligently, your power to avoid temptation and to receive direction of the Holy Ghost in all you do will be increased. Divine favor will attend those who humbly seek it. That is a promise which I leave with you.”
President Thomas S. Monson (April 21, 2009)


President Gordon B. Hinckley


“We urge all for whom [institute] is available to take advantage of it. We do not hesitate to promise that your knowledge of the gospel will be increased, your faith will be strengthened, and you will develop wonderful associations and friendships.”
President Gordon B. Hinckley (in Conference Report, April 1984, 69; orEnsign, May 1984, 47)

Elder Boyd K. Packer


“Students, if your values are in place, you will not hesitate to forego an elective class that may decorate your life in favor of instruction which can hold together the very foundation of it. Then, once enrolled, attend, study, and learn. Persuade your friends to do the same. You will never regret it; this I promise you.”
Elder Boyd K. Packer (in Conference Report, Apr. 1983, 91; or Ensign, May 1983, 67)


As I have attended institute, I have made friends, I have felt the Spirit.  My faith has been increased.  I have come to a greater knowledge of the truth of the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ.  I have never regretted attending institute.

Transition From Seminary to Institute


When I went to my seminary graduation at the end of high school, I heard a talk quite similar to the one I'm giving now about how institute was amazing and would bless my life.  Although I attended seminary throughout high school, I had never really found it that exciting, and I sort of sighed, thinking institute would be exactly the same.  However, knowing it was something I should do, I decided to test it out.

I first attended institute during the summer after I graduated high school.  There was a special Book of Mormon class specifically for recent high school graduates in my area, which was taught by my Bishop, who also happened to be the CES coordinator for our area.  This class was amazing.  It was there that I learned the power of institute.  Students at institute aren't there because their parents have forced them to attend.  They are there because they want to learn and grow in the Gospel.  Because of this, they ask questions, they answer questions, and they give their own insights.  Attending institute with these enlightened students, I have gained my own enlightenment, and I have learned to ask and answer questions in class, which has allowed me to gain more out of institute.

First Semester SUU and Songs of the Heart


My first semester at SUU, I was looking through the institute class schedule, and I saw the audition choir, Songs of the Heart.  I had been in a choir of some sort for most of my life starting in fourth grade, so I decided to audition.  Being chosen to be a part of this choir was one of the greatest blessing I experienced during that semester.  Several of my closest friends today, I met in Songs of the Heart.  It was there that I met my sweetheart, on the very first day, actually.  Our first date was the institute date that is held in the fall of every semester.  It was because of Songs of the Heart that we sang the duet that sealed our relationship from the day we began practicing it.

I have learned of the power of music, which is a huge influence in my life.  The music we sang taught me to draw near unto the Lord so that He could draw near unto me ("Draw Near Unto Me").  It taught me of My Father "that dwelleth in the high and holy place" ("O My Father", Eliza R. Snow).  I heard it's call to "awake...no longer droop in sin", but to rejoice and praise "the Lord my God who is my rock and stay" ("I Love the Lord").  I joined the royal army of God in singing of "victory through Him that redeemed us" ("Behold! A Royal Army", Fanny J. Crsoby).  This music truly became the song of my heart as I joined in harmony with my brothers and sisters in that choir.
[I apologize; I don't know all the names of those who wrote the lyrics for these songs]

Songs of the Heart Choir that first year


Other Blessings of Institute


I have also seen the blessings of institute in other aspects of my life.  The days I attend institute, my soul is lifted, and I am filled with joy.  One semester, I had a hard time finding an institute class to fit in my schedule, so it took me a couple weeks to get into one.  Once I started attending, I knew that it didn't matter which class I took, but I needed to go.  I've sometimes thought to myself, 'Well, if I need to skip class one day, it's not a big deal.  It's just institute.'  Yet, I always find that I never want to skip class, even if I have other things I need to do.  I just trust that if I put institute first, the Lord will help me get the other tasks done.

In institute, I have learned about who I was in the premortal existence [life before birth], who I have the potential to become, and how to do so.  I have learned of my purpose and the responsibilities and blessings I have as a member of the House of Israel.  I have learned that I am important to the Lord, and that he knows me individually and has a plan for my life.  I have seen His hand in the implementation of that plan as I have been directed out here to school, led to my husband, and guided in my education and career choices.  I have met amazing people who love the Lord and want to serve him as I do.  I have gained strength in their testimonies, and I hope I have offered them strength in mine.  I have gained peace.  I have learned of the love of God.

"For he doeth not anything save it be for the benefit of the world, for he loveth the world, even that he layeth down his own life that he may draw all men unto him.  Wherefore, he commandeth none that they shall not partake of his salvation" (2 Nephi 26:24)

I know that institute has blessed my life, and I know that it can bless all of yours.  I know that the Lord established institute for the benefit of the world.  It benefits those who attend, and they, in turn, bless the communities in which they live by living true to the Gospel.  I know that he wants everyone to partake of His salvation, and that institute is one of the ways that He draws us unto him.

I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment