Sunday, August 4, 2013

Night, I mean, um, Afternoon, at the Museum!

Friday, Peter and I went to the York County Museum.  I had remembered going when I was younger and thought it would be fun to pay it a visit again with Peter to see how much it had changed.  Some of the same animals were there, but they had moved the exhibits and little.

When we first arrived, the lady at the front desk was trying to give someone directions to the nearest post office, but she asked if we were there for the planetarium.  She said the show was about to start and we could go on in and then pay when we left, which was really nice of her.   Peter said the planetarium was his favorite part because it was the most interesting.  We actually ended up having the whole planetarium to ourselves lol.  The guy who worked the planetarium showed us what the night sky looks like here right now and then started to tell us the rules of the planetarium so he could start the show.  He goes, "If you leave in the middle you can't come back in...and...that's all I'm going to tell y'all cuz you're the only ones in here and I don't really care what you do."  I thought that was kinda funny. 

We then went into the hands-on exhibit, where we think the worker must have been bored because he immediately began telling us about the exhibit as soon as we walked in the room (it was a slow day at the museum haha).  They had a couple of permanent exhibits that were pretty close to what I remembered, but their new exhibit was about the Piedmont area during the Ice Age.
I remember seeing this elephant when I was younger

Peter said Cougars don't look like this.
"Cougars wear blue with a big 'Y' on their chest!"
I rolled my eyes at him.

This exhibit showed nocturnal creatures of SC.
It was kinda like a life-size "I-Spy" game.
 (this is a picture of the key)

 Apparently this is what ground sloths looked like during the Ice Age
(I immediately thought of Sid the Sloth, but this guy is huge!)

After the museum, we went to Olive Garden.  After ordering their 2 for $25 deal, we decided that next time we would just get their endless soup, salad, and bread sticks and maybe a dessert.  Not that the food wasn't good, we just weren't able to eat much of it after our very tasty soup, salad, and bread sticks lol.  I also got a strawberry smoothie that was very good.  It was a fun little date.

No comments:

Post a Comment