Friday, May 9, 2014

A Tiny Break and a Too-Short Visit

Friday night, Kira, Dad, and I stayed up way too late visiting, but I am so grateful for that visit.  It was really fun.  We just chatted about anything and everything.  Dad and I shared how we both have come to love Cedar after spending our college years there.  Dad told us about his love for Grandpa's house in Hatch, and Kira and I shared our feelings about it.  It's always been just a relaxing vacation escape for me, where you don't have to worry about anything, except perhaps when Mom will get back with the latest installment of Harry Potter!  It was also fun for me to talk computers with Dad and feel like I actually knew a little bit about what we were talking about.

Saturday after Peter's graduation, while my dad was still out here, he, Kira, and I met Grandpa up in Hatch.  We always enjoy Hatch, and we always enjoy visiting with Grandpa, so it was a lot of fun.  We were listening to Grandpa tell stories, and I found my Family History Consultant calling influencing me, so I pulled out my phone and set it to record him.  At some point either my sister or I will transcribe what he said so we can post it to FamilySearch

 Remembering our discussion from the night before, Kira and I also took pictures of the Hatch house so we would have a record of it as it looks right now, since it still looks pretty much as it did when Grandpa's mom lived there.  I'll let Kira and Dad share more of them if they like, but I wanted to share this one.  Grandpa made this little table when he was in high school!

On our way out of town, we stopped to take some pictures of Turek grave stones in the cemetery.  Again, we'll be uploading these to Family Search in connection with the people whose names are on them.


When we came down off the mountain, we had a little picnic with Peter's family.  We ate burgers and hot dogs, took pictures, and played a game. 

I think this picture of Kira and me is just too fun!  It's one of my classic self portraits (I was taking them before anybody even heard the word 'selfie'). 

Of course, I also found the swings.

We played a game with Peter's family where you throw a small ball, then each team tries to throw their four balls closer so they land closer to the small ball than the other team's.  (Dad's description is better; once he posts it, I'll link to it here)






Peter and I then had to do a little packing.  Later that evening, we met back up with Peter's family for some pizza and ice cream.  And my Dad's visit wouldn't be complete if we didn't belt songs from Frozen in the car, and since we had to drive over to Paul and Kylie's house anyway...

Sunday, Peter and I sang a duet, "Who Is This Man?", in church, with Sister Whittaker playing for us.  The Whittakers became Peter's other grandparents his first year of college, so I'm glad he got to give her another hug before leaving.

We were so glad Dad came to visit, and we were very sad that Mom couldn't come.  I was also very sad for Dad to leave the next day, and I wasn't quite sure I was ready for Peter's and my next adventure.  But Peter started his job and I started my internship that Monday, so Sunday afternoon, we packed up our car and drove up north to start that adventure, ready or not.  
Here goes nuthin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment